NYS Civil Service Police Exam
Most law enforcement agencies in New York State use the NYS Civil Service Police Exam for their entry-level written test. This includes the NY State Police (NYS Troopers) and most county and local Police and Sheriff Agencies.
As of 2017, the New York State police exam is based upon the commerical exam called LEAB-II by E.B. Jacobs.
Police Agencies Using the NYS Civil Service Exam
The majority of police and sheriff departments in New York State use the NYS Civil Service Police Exam. Some agencies choose to use a subset of the full exam. For example, Nassau County excludes the Memorization section.
The NYPD uses a different exam format.
- NY State Troopers
- All NY County Police Departments
- Rochester Police Department
- Albany PD
- Buffalo PD
Questions Included on NYS Civil Service Exam
The New York State Entry-Level Police Officer Series is the LEAB-II. There are 3 sections:
1. Cognitive Questions
- Memorizing Written Information
- Preparing Writing Material in a Police Setting
- Reading Comprehension
- Writing Abilities
2. Work Style Questionnaire
3. Life Experince Survey
How to Prepare for the NYS Civil Service Police Exam
Get yourself an online prep course with the following included:
- All cognitive subjects are covered in detail
- Stimulating tutorials teach you how to score high
- Hundreds of practice questions available
- Bonus material:
- Managing Your Job Search
- How to Not Fail the Polygraph
- Best Practices for the Psych Exam
- How to Impress at the Oral Interview
- Lifetime access for a one-time fee
- Personal support from a veteran cop and police recruiter.
The BEST prep course on the market is NYS Civil Service Exam Prep.