NPOST - the National Police Officer Selection Test - But Not Really!
For their police written exam, many law enforcement agencies in the U.S. use a test format known as NPOST - the National Police Officer Selection Test. NPOST is a clever marketing label given to a style of test published by a company known as Stanard & Associates, Inc. (not to be confused with the word "standards!") There is no true standard police officer selection test in the U.S.
The NPOST is an entry-level, basic skills test that measures these abilities: Arithmetic, Reading Comprehension, Grammar and Incident Report Writing.
Agencies Using the NPOST
Notable police written exams based upon the NPOST include:
Utah Police Written Exams
Iowa Police Written Exams
Wyoming Police Written Exams
Oregon Police Written Exams
Tennessee Police Written Exams
Montana Police Written Exams
Nebraska Police Written Exams
Virginia Police Written Exams
Illinois Police Written Exams
Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority
Maryland State Police Exam
North Dakota Highway Patrol Exam
Questions Included on NPOST
There are four sections in this 1 hour, 15 minute-test:
- Mathematics - 20 questions in 20 minutes
- Word questions requiring basic math - no calculators.
- Reading Comprehension - 25 questions in 25 minutes
- Read a policy or procedure and answer questions about it based only upon the information presented.
- English Grammar - 20 questions in 15 minutes
- Choose the best word to complete a sentence or identify the misspelled word in a sentence.
- Incident Report Writing - 10 questions in 15 minutes
- Read a police incident report and answer questions by writing a clear, accurate and complete sentence.
How to Prepare for the NPOST
Get yourself an online prep course with the following included:
- All NCJOSI cognitive subjects are covered in detail
- Stimulating tutorials teach you how to score high
- Hundreds of practice questions available
- Bonus material:
- Managing Your Job Search
- How to Not Fail the Polygraph
- Best Practices for the Psych Exam
- How to Impress at the Oral Interview
- Lifetime access for a one-time fee
- Personal support from a veteran cop and police recruiter.
The best course on the market is NPOST Quikprep Course