NYS Civil Service Exam for Law Enforcement Officers
Most law enforcement agencies in New York State use the NYS Civil Service Exam for their written test for law enforcement positions. This includes the State Police (aka NYS Troopers), and most Police and Sheriff Agencies.
The New York State police exam contains 4 sections: memory; preparing writing material in a police setting; reading, understanding and interpreting written information; and applying written information in a police situation.
Police Agencies Using the NYS Civil Service Exam
The majority of police and sheriff departments in New York State use the NYS Civil Service Exam. Some agencies choose to use a subset of the full exam. For example, Nassau County excludes the Memorization section.
The NYPD uses a different exam format.
- NY State Troopers
- Rochester Police Department
- Albany PD
- Buffalo PD
Questions Included on NYS Civil Service Exam
The New York State Entry-Level Police Officer Series contains 4 sections:
- Memorizing Written Information
- Preparing Writing Material in a Police Setting
- Reading Comprehension
- Writing Abilities
How to Prepare for the NYS Police Civil Service Exam
Get yourself an online prep course with the following included:
- All cognitive subjects are covered in detail
- Stimulating tutorials teach you how to score high
- Hundreds of practice questions available
- Bonus material:
- Managing Your Job Search
- How to Not Fail the Polygraph
- Best Practices for the Psych Exam
- How to Impress at the Oral Interview
- Lifetime access for a one-time fee
- Personal support from a veteran cop and police recruiter.
The BEST prep course on the market is NYS Civil Service Exam Prep.