PELLETB - California POST Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery
The term POST means “Police Officer Selection Test” in most parts of the U.S. In California, however, POST stands for Peace Officer Standards and Training. The California POST Commission sets minimum selection and training standards for California law enforcement agencies.
PELLETB stands for POST Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery and is the entry level Written Exam recommended by the Commission.
More than 600 California law enforcement agencies participate in the POST Program. Smaller agencies such as university or hospital security organizations are the few exceptions.
Agencies Using the PELLETB
The California Highway Patrol (CHP) is the most notable agency that uses the PELLETB.
While many law enforcement agencies use the PELLETB as is, others build upon it and modify it to suit their local needs. It is for this reason that agencies like San Francisco and Los Angeles use slightly different testing formats for their new hire selection process.
Based upon my latest information, notable agencies that use the PELLETB for their police written exam include:
Oakland Police Department
San Jose Police Department
Sacramento Police Department
Questions Included on PELLETB
There are four sections in this 1 hour, 15 minute-test:
- Writing - Clarity
- Multiple choice - choose sentence most clearly written
- Writing - Spelling
- Writing - Vocabulary
- Reading Comprehension - 25 questions in 25 minutes
- Read a policy or procedure and answer questions about it based only upon the information presented
- CLOZE Reading Test
- Fill in the missing words in a passage.
- Logical Reasoning
- Multiple choice - Information grouping, ordering, classification and relationships
How to Prepare for the PELLETB
There are 120 questions on this 2-hour exam. In order to pass, you are going to need access to a good PELLETB Study Guide that includes many PELLETB practice tests.
The BEST, prep course for the PELLETB is PELLETB QuikPrep by Sgt. George Godoy. The benefits are obvious:
- All the PELLETB subjects are covered in great detail
- Engaging, multimedia lectures present valuable tips
- Hundreds of PELLETB practice questions prefect your skills
- Bonus material:
- Managing Your Job Search
- Best Practices on Personality Profiles
- How to Not Fail the CVSA
- Best Practices for the Psych Exam
- How to Impress at the Oral Interview
- Mobile-friendly, lifetime access
- Personal, one-on-one support from a veteran cop and police recruiter.